I should really take my own advice more often…
Well, first let me start by saying I don’t like the word “should”. I try really hard to not say the word “should” … usually I’ll replace my statements where normally “should” would be appropriate with a word like “could”. This all started back in 2011… I was less than a year removed from college and a mentor at the time told me about this theory. I didn’t get it then, but over the next couple years it really started to resonate with me. Often when we use the word “should” it puts us in a place of talking down to someone / implies that you are the expert and can come across as a know it all. Enough of that tangent, let’s move on.
I’ve been experiencing some burn out recently. Interestingly enough I’m not the only one. I’ve heard others in a Mastermind group that I’m in mention they are burned out, I’ve heard one of my favorite podcast shows talking about burn out and it just got me thinking…
Maybe it’s the fact that it’s summer and we are easily distracted by the warm weather. I don’t really know, but it seems that in the month of July I’ve been burned out and others around me have been as well. I’m not used to burn out. Usually when I feel that I’m burned out it lasts a day or maybe a few at most. I’m pretty good at bouncing back.
This is how I usually bounce back…
- Eating Healthy
- Waking up early and going to the gym
- Cleaning… yes, you heard that right. Whether it’s a simple task like making my bed as soon as I wake up or doing laundry, cleaning the back yard… organization puts me at ease (slightly OCD possibly?)
- Work out again. I don’t consider myself an athlete, but I do know that when I was most effective was when I was doing triathlons and training daily. Now, I just try to run 3x a week, swim a few days a week and lift 5 days a week. I’m best when I release the endorphins.
- To-Do list: This is huge, it helps me stay organized and checking things off the list really gives me a good sense of accomplishment
- Binging: Whether it’s binge eating, netflixing, gaming or whatever… treat yourself… you deserve it!
These are just a few actionable steps you can take to re-charge those batteries! For me, it’s time for me to take my own advice. I need to stay diligent, focused and determined. Once you are back on track, don’t break the routine!
Comment below with what helps you fight burnout!